100% open-source and programmable so you can make the LEDs do whatever you want
Built-in microphone and accelerometer for interactive music visualizations—L3D Cube loves music and sound!
Download, create, and share new apps for your L3D Cube at CubeTube.org
Takes only 30 minutes to assemble—all you need is a Phillips head screwdriver
Connect multiple cubes together and make them interact (additional cubes sold separately)
Spark Core Processor and Wi-Fi connectivity
In the box: 64-LED rods (x8), LED rod connectors, Spark Core Processor, USB power cord, acrylic side panels, and instruction manual
8 in. x 8 in. x 8 in. (20.3cm x 20.3cm x 20.3cm) 3D LED cube
512 RGB LED lights (8 rods of 64 lights)
How to use your L3D Cube.
The L3D Cube works right out of the box (after you spend a mere half hour building it, of course). But if you want to make it do more than what it’s pre-programmed to do, have at it! Here are the 5 fun ways you can use your L3D Cube:
1. Just plug it in—no setup! A standard set of visualizations will automatically start playing when you first plug in your cube. You can also control the visualizations by tilting your cube, thanks to the built-in accelerometer.
2. Download and share new applications from CubeTube directly to your cube with just the click of a button. No programming needed! Visualizations, music reactivity, more advanced interactions with multiple cubes, or hacks with Makey Makey/Kinect/Structure/LEAP—it's all there waiting for you. (And it’s all FREE!)
3. Write your own programs for the cube in Arduino language or Processing. The programs can be stored in the cube's memory or can be streamed to your cube from a computer over your Wi-Fi network.
4. Connect multiple cubes together and make them interact. (Note: additional cubes sold separately.)
5. Hack it! Add your own sensors for new interactions or make improvements to your cube itself. Everything (hardware and software) is open-source and fully documented, so hacking is fun and easy!
The 8-bit Holovid era starts here—order your L3D Programmable LED Cube Kit from Brookstone today!
The pictures show a clear case. Mine came with a diffused case which makes it look cheesy and toyish. It's very flimsy. Without the case, it looks great. Only a few animations come with it. I bought it to program for it but I think I will return it.
Was this a gift?:
Bottom Line No, I would not recommend this to a friend